Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Interesting

the availability of street meat, and other street foods. There are always ajumma's on the street selling something. On my walk home I can count about 10 vendors each day.

1. First, there is street meat lady; selling various meats on a stick.
2. Then on the right is squid octopus and and shrimp seller dude. I love watching shrimp swim around. They're really cute. They've got all those tiny little legs that are always flailing about. The guy that sells them is also really dreamy.
3-7. Various ajumma's selling leafy greens and mysterious grain products. I steer clear of them because they stare a lot and I have no idea what they're selling.
8. the sock man. just a big tent in the middle of the street I have to walk through. There are lot's of kinds of socks out there.
9. The guy with the big truck selling blankets and sleeping mattresses. I bought a mat from him and he made sure to tell me I was getting a sweet discount. Every Korean seems to know the word discount. If I'm in a cab and the price is w2100, he'll only take w2000 and say "discount!! discount!!". (In CDN, that would be about 12 cents.)
10. The fruit and vegetable lady. Persimmons, figs, bananas, grapes: whatever is in season.
12. The pastry fish vendor. They're deep-fried pastries with red bean in the centre. Ugh. Red bean is evil. It's touted as a "delicious and sweet" dessert type food, but I don't believe it.
13. Every now and then there is the "dried fish" vendor selling... various dried fishes. I'm going to send some home for christmas to scare people. The only kind I've had so far is the little minnows. It's the entire fish, but it's so small that it's just a little chewey and crunchy. Tastes like fish.

There's always a lot to see on the five minute walk home.

No comments: