Friday, November 17, 2006

Demonstration Day

Today Naju ET has a 40 minute demonstration for various big-wigs and what-not (basically a bunch of old Korean guys in nice suits) to show what our classes are like. Of course, usually it goes from 9:30am until 3:30pm, but I'm sure we can fit it all in under an hour. No problem. The really annoying part is that that is the only class I have today.

I'm here for eight hours and I'll have an hours worth of class today. I was supposed to have a teacher's workshop, but couldn't possibly do it today; I'm far too busy!! So my workshop has been cancelled for the third time.

All else is well though. Except for a tiny cold, I am well rested and not too annoyed with anyone. It also helps that it's a Friday. Friday's are freaking wonderful. And I've decided I'm going to have a low key, relaxed weekend so that I don't feel like crap on Sunday, which is usually the way it works. My scheduled itinerary:

Friday night: take a bus to Mokpo to hang out with Kristen and Alex and whoever else we meet up with. Maybe see a movie if we can find an english one in theatres.

Saturday: head back to Naju, dump my stuff, then take a bus to Gwang-ju for some hardcore Christmas shopping for people back home. I'm probably just going to buy the weirdest stuff I can find!! There's a really good shinae (downtown) shopping area in Gwang-ju that will hopefully supply me with lots of konglish t-shirts, buddha's, and whatever weird, interesting stuff I can find. If anyone has some requests, get them to me soon, before I send out my packages.

Sunday: laze about, watch some old episodes of "Sex and the City" on tv (the tv here is turning my brain to mush), clean my apartment, and take a long walk on my mountains.

Sigh. Sounds good to me. I haven't had a single weekend where there wasn't some sort of big elabourate plan that resulted in me not sleeping for a night or two!! And no Soju for me this weekend either!!! Soju is a vodka like drink that is insanely cheap and easy to get and makes Cathy feel like crap.

Oh man, creepiest website ever!!! www.najumary.org. There is quite a cult following of the Naju Mary. On the site there are even pictures of the statue with the tears of blood!!! Creepy!! It's so weird to think that a huge pilgrimmage stop is literally a five minute walk from my apartment. I don't know why I'm so fascinated with it; but I just am. This is a little excerpt straight from the website (spelling errors and all) describing the "event":

Our Lady of Naju !

It was almost midnight on June 30,1985 when the Blessed Mother wept for the first time through her statue in Naju, at that time Julia Kim,the owner of the Statue was running her own a Beauty Salon in Naju.
The Blessed Mother's weeping tears and tears of blood continued intermittently for the next 7 years for a total of exactly 700 days until Jan 14,1992 Simultaneously with weeping,Our lady was also frequently sweating and bleeding, throught her nose.Another sign that the Blessed mother gave us in Naju was the fragrant oil through the same statue.She said that this fragrant oil and the fragrance of roses represented her presence,love and friendship for us.
Our lady gave us these signs for the conversion of sinners. She had accumulated the fragrant oil in the top of her head by squeezing all of herself for 400 days and began exuding the oil from the statue on Nov 24,1992 to Oct 23,1994 for 700 consecutive days.

Through centuries,the Blessed Mother has appeared at different places and given us the messages of Jesus ,for example,
in Guadalupe / Lourdes / Fatima / Medjugorej / Akita / Banneux and so on.In recent years, she has been weeping at several locations in the world. Especially, in Naju,Korea


CREEPY!! Alex says that I think everything's creepy, but this DEFINITELY is!!!!

No comments: