Monday, March 19, 2007

Save Me, Big Burly Canadian Man!!!

So this past weekend was St. Patricks day, and I have to admit that I did absolutely NOTHING, even though I've been informed that I'm 1/4 Irish (my mom's maiden name is Kelly after all), so I should have been out partying. I have a newly aquired cold that kept me company over the weekend instead. So I caught up on all of the "America's Next Top Model" happenings-- very important-- and I took some time to continue to explore the mountains near my apartment. I have my favourite mountain that I usually climb, but yesterday I decided to check out another, much less popular trail. At the very top (around 800m-900m I think), there was a random helicopter pad. No buildings, temples, outhouses, or anything, just a little concrete area with a big white circle and an "H". My first thought: Do a lot of people injure themselves on this mountain?? The trail wasn't very well kept and incredibly steep! My second: hahahahahaha... well this one's a longer thought I guess. Way back when, after I'd just arrived in Korea I had decided to register at the Canadian Embassy in Seoul, so if there was any political/military strife I could enlist their help to get me the hell out of the country. Then Marcia (my sister, who has quite the imagination) was making up all sorts of stories about a big burly Canadian Embassy man rescuing me from my apartment (about to be bombed perhaps??) and us hiding in the mountains near my house. So when I saw the helicopter pad, I started having all these thoughts about military conspiracies, hiding out on the mountains, and top secret meetings at the tops of big hills.

While out to dinner with some friends (we were in Hiroshima, so our thoughts had strayed to bombings I guess) we were talking about getting airlifted out of Korea, and some random people at the next table told us that they had a friend who had to be airlifted out of a country (ummm... Lebanon maybe??) by her embassy (not sure where she was from) and it cost her over $8000!!!
Doesn't that suck??

No comments: