Friday, March 02, 2007

Japan III Hiroshima

I could never live in Tokyo, it was a bit much, but Hiroshima was beautiful. Much thanks to the US for bombing Hiroshima so they had to rebuild everything so nicely!! Yeah, my angst towards American politics and military was only heightened on this trip. Not that I think Japan was blameless, but after seeing pictures of everything, models of what was left of Hiroshima, accounts of people who were disfigured, children who died, mothers who gave birth to disabled children etc., I was a little bitter.

This is the "A-Bomb Dome". It was one of the only buildings to be left semi-standing after the bomb fell, and it's the only building that has been left in ruins as a reminder. The rest of the area is a big memorial, full of statues, museums, fountains etc.



Ringing the Peace Bell.
This is a globe that was in one of the museums which shows all of the worlds Nuclear weapons and where they are (none in North Korea, I checked). Of course the States has the most. And take a look at pristine Canada, nuclear weapon free! I love it.

No comments: