Monday, October 30, 2006

Yo-yo-yo-yeosu

So, halloween party in Yeosu:

Before Yeosu, Alex and myself went for a walk on one of the mountains in Naju. After many instances of me needing a rest, we arrived at the big pagoda at the top and it was totally worth it!!! The view was really nice. One side was a huge, endless mountain range, and the other was literally all of Naju, marred only by the smog caused by the big LG factory. If there was no LG factory, Naju would be a ghost town. It's where everyone who lives in my apartment works (apart from shop owners)!

The party was fun. There were lots of interesting costumes:

1. The oompa loompa- I don't remember his name, but his costume was amazing! Apparently he had a Korean tailor make it for him, so it was really well done. He also knew all the words to the oompa-loompa song, which was quite impressive. I always found the oompa-loompas so freaking creepy!! These creepy little dudes singing the same song all the time. Weird!

2. "Fan Death"- I'm not sure whether I've mentioned this, but here's another bizarre Korean Fact:
There is a sort of "urban legend" that states if you sleep in your house with a fan running and all of your windows closed, you will DIE. If "cause of death is unknown, apparently people have cited "fan death" as an explanation. It has also been used to explain away suicides, which are quite taboo.
So, Nicola had on make-up to make it look like she was dead, and some fans. It was a very nice costume.

Some other favorites: a milk box (Maelik, a Korean Milk company in competition with Seoul Milk), "Holy Shit" (a guy dressed all in brown with corn kernels stuck to him, and a halo on his head), some mermaids, devilled eggs (devil horns with a white shirt and yellow circle), an emoticon (with different levels of drunkenness), one of the security guard dudes from Spaceballs (hahahahaha, the helmet was two salad bowls taped together and painted white).

My costume was that of a super ajumma. In Naju, there is a ridiculous amount of Ajumma's. Translated literally, it means "aunt", but ajumma's are so much more than that!! They are the old ladies that I see constantly on the mountain in huge sun visors, bright (usually pink) outfits, and they're usually staring at me as I pass! So I had the visor (which is actually pretty sweet, I may wear it on the mountain too!), an ugly polyester shirt that I painted an A on, a korean fan, and a big pink cape. Oh yeah!! Then an actual ajumma showed up at the party trying to sell some rice cakes (I think she was maybe a little unbalanced), putting my costume to shame.

Then on Sunday I took the bus back home and sat around in my apartment for the rest of the day. Watched "Pretty Woman" for about the six-thousandth time since getting here.

No comments: