Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Boredom Sets In

So, yeah, it's only 10am on my class-less day and the boredom has already set riiiiiight in. Why couldn't they just give us the day off? During the week, things are generally ridiculously boring here in Naju. After work I go home and have hours upon hours of "me time" which is only interesting long enough to realize you are a really boring person. I just don't have much to say to myself anymore. At least I have some actual plans tonight! Me and a couple Yongsanpo'ers (Stu and Max) are going to go bowling in Naju to alleviate the boredom for a while. That's right, Naju apparently has a bowling alley (but no movie theatre interestingly enough)!!

I think I'm going to start hanging out with the Ajummas (the old ladies). Whenever I walk around the shanty-town areas of Naju, there are always a bunch of Ajumma's sitting out with their drying chilli=peppers (it's usually hard to tell which is more wrinkled-- the dried pepper or the Ajumma). Whenever I walk by a gagle of ajummas, they stop talking and just blatantly stare. It's a little disconcerting. It's not an angry or happy stare, it's a "what the hell is that thing?" stare. Sometimes I'll try smiling, or an "Ahnnyong Haseyo" to break the trance, but they don't even seem to notice. I think one day I'll just stop and stare back. For. As. Long. As. It. Takes. That would probably just piss the ladies off though. It's okay for people to stare at me, but when I stare back (which I've done a few times) it's considered insulting.

No comments: