Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thailand III The Islands

So, after about two days in Bangkok looking around, we decided to catch a flight out to the island Koh Samui to sit on the beach and meet up with Kristen and Vanessa. After a quick one hour flight, we were on paradise. The kind you see in movies and think, "I'm never going to see a place like that" (if you're from farm country Ontario, like I am). When we landed at Koh Samui airport, I kept asking "so... where's the airport?".

So THIS is Koh Samui airport; a series of grass huts made with bamboo and palm leaves. We were driven from our plane in buses. Very cool! From Koh Samui we took a Catamaran to Koh Phangan, where we hired a "taxi" to take us to Haad Rin (which turned out to be the big tourist town on the island). Eventually we found our hotel, "Paradise Bungalows" which was right on a beautiful beach, and cost us about five dollars each per night.

A view from the plane on the way to Koh Samui. Our plane left the Bangkok airport at 6:30am, so we had arrived at the airport at least two hours before that. EEEKKK! But they served us breakfast on the short flight, so I wasn't too difficult to deal with.


Various views from the area around Paradise bungalows. The weather was mostly sunny and ridiculously warm while I was there, so thankfully, I was able to work on my sunburn and multiple tan lines.

One morning I woke up to a bit of a downpour. This picture was taken from the front porch of my bungalow; it's one of the many buddhist shrines that are all over the place. This one is very simple and rustic looking compared to the others I've seen (I'll have more pictures later).

No comments: