Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thailand I

Sawaadeekaa! (hello in Thai, the only thing I learned while there, which is shameful)

So, yeah, I'm back in the office but I don't have any classes, so it's time for my major blog update. I know you're excited. Thailand was a lot of fun. I left on January 20th via Thai airways, and everything was pretty standard. It ended up being about a six hour flight, with a nice little stop in Taipei to break things up. After flying from Canada, fourteen hours straight, this felt like no time at all. I arrived at the airport in Bangkok at about 11pm and met up with fellow Najuite Monique at a hostel she was staying at. The next day we did some touristy stuff. There's a big famous river in Bangkok, so we went for a boat ride to see the sights.

This is just a random boat. There were a bunch of them on the river, kind of like taxi's for the richer tourists.

Another nice looking boat. There were all sorts of tours going on. Thailand makes a lot in tourist dollars.

Featured here is a picture of the King of Thailand. There are billboards of him absolutely everywhere, signs hailing the King, he's on every Thai Baht as well etc. etc. On certain days Thai people wear yellow t-shirts with his insignia in his name; I guess he's a pretty cool guy. His reign has lasted 60 years, so he's also a very old guy.

The Bangkok River (Mae Nam Chao Phraya) was a dirty dirty river, but there was lots of interesting buildings to see. Seeing palaces and temples next to skyscrapers is always very jarring.

No comments: