Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dinner With The Teacher's

Because it's the end of the semester over here, all of the teachers went out to a big dinner to celebrate some retirements, teachers moving on the the next school etc etc. So we all met up at a big seafood place in Gwang-ju where I sampled pretty much every kind of raw fish you could imagine. I tried sea slug (of course I didn't realize that was what it was until I'd already put it in my mouth) for the first time. Mmmmm... delicious. It was this murky, brownish orange mottled colour, but it didn't taste too bad. Then they brought out the final dish, the "piece d'resistance", freshly cut octopus. Still squirming on the plate!! I had thought I would be repulsed when I saw a cut-up baby octopus, but I was so FASCINATED! I tried not to stare too blatantly since I was surrounded by other teachers, but it was so cool! When you try to pick up tentacles, they'll stick to the plate and they're surprisingly strong. I can't even describe to you the feeling of having an octopus tentacle moving in your mouth, sticking itself to your teeth. But the octopus had been soaked in some sesame oil and chopped greens, so it was pretty good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cathy, I'm grossed out on the other side of the world! Better you than me darlin'. I'd starve and want my mommy....tear*

mightycathy said...

awww, come on. It wasn't so bad.