Monday, June 23, 2008

Vancouver Island

So this morning I left my hostel bright and early to catch a ferry to Vancouver Island. First I drove into Victoria, which was a much nicer town than Vancouver (in my opinion). After checking out a whale watching place that was already full for the day, I drove into Sidney, a relatively small town nearby which was beautiful. I found a place to do some whale watching as well, which was perfect. We all went out on a little boat that drove us out to the nearby islands where ALL THREE!! of the local pods were cavorting in the water. It was awesome! Apparently it's pretty much mating seasons so all of the pods were just swimming around together, splashing and jumping. We didn't get very close and the boat was a little wet and rocky so my pictures are abysmal. Half of them I just deleted because they were blurry, or I'd take the picture once the big buggers were already underwater. The half hour we spent looking at the pod went something like this:
1. A couple of orcas surface in a splash, swimming around
2. Annoying kids on boat say "Woah! Look at them!!"
3. My head swivels around
4. I spot the whales! Excellent!
5. The whales dive down again leaving only some stirred water to show where they were
6. I lift my camera
7. I try to zoom in
8. I look for the whales
9. I can't find the damn things!
10. I take a picture just in case they happen to surface within the frame.

Expert wildlife photographer, I am not. But in my memory they were quite majestic and other-worldly, I assure you. Once one of the big guys jumped out of the water-- I mean right out-- and all I caught was a blurry splash of water. Sigh. But here's what I DO have:

Impressive, no?

Right now I'm staying at a wonderfully cheap motel. I went to a motel 8 type place, but the lady told me it was too expensive and that I should go across the road to the cheaper place (which I did). Thanks lady! She must hate her boss... she told me that the rates had just gone up and it was ridiculous and that she wouldn't stay there. Ha!

Note to self: Stop being so jaded! Everywhere I go, I think to myself, "this is alright, but in such and such a place it was MUCH better". "Yeah, I guess these mountains are pretty big, but in so-and-so, they were way bigger". "This hotel is nice, but when I was in Kreplakistan, they were nicer, cheaper etc. etc." Why do I have to be such a jerk?
I am really enjoying my trip so far though! Being free and able to go wherever I want and do whatever I want (within monetary boundaries) is quite excellent! I'm so impressed with my car. Pabo's a piece of crap but he's still plugging along, getting me everywhere with little fuss (knock on wood). I fed him an oil change, replenished his fluids, and I've been checking his tire pressure-- all is well! He's like my little baby (in baby talk voice)!! Once I get him a car wash he'll be getting a hug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can't help but be jaded - it's in your emo nature :)
Rest assured, since I discovered you started writing your blog again, I check it every day :D
I miss you tons.
I love that you named your car Pabo, but why must it be a male? Girls are way more Pabo :P