Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Golden!

I'm finally in the Rockies. I wanted to camp in Glacier National Park but the campgrounds aren't open yet since it's still so cold. So I drove on and decided to stop in a small town called Golden on my way to the Banff region. So far I'm liking the Trans Can Highway. I was expecting it to be "major highway" like (ala the Interstate highways), but it's actually pretty modest and not too busy. Although it's a little cool, I think I came at the right time. The roads are not yet crammed with RV's, which is excellent. Another difference in the highways in the States and Canada; there was a lot more wildlife in the States. Dead on the road. I saw dozens of deer carcasses that had been killed on he highways. I'd never seen that before. They're so big they look like human bodies on the side of the road and they leave HUGE blood stains on the highways (and total vehicles, I'm sure!). I'm not sure whether to attribute the difference to there just being more wildlife in the States, Trans Can highway authorities being more diligent about clearing away animals, or speed limits in the States being much higher. On the I 90's the speed limit is often 75 miles/hr (about 120 kilometres/hr), whereas in Canada the maximum speed limit I've ever seen is 100km/hr. Interesting!

At this point I'm continually slapping my own hand so I stop taking pictures of the mountains. When I come upon a new mountain that seems bigger and more beautiful than the last, I stop my car to get a couple shots. Then later I look through the photos and realize that I'm not sure where I took any of these mountain pictures, and they're all looking remarkably similar! Still beautiful, but I think people will get the idea with a few pictures instead of one hundred.

I feel like I'm making pretty good time, so after exploring the rockies for another day or two, I'm probably going to start heading back so as to perhaps save a little money. I was talking to an older gentleman a few days ago on a ferry to Vancouver island. He saw my car with the Ontario plates and told me that he'd driven through Canada from Mississauga and it'd taken him TEN days. So I want to leave myself plenty of time just in case.

3 comments:

Ms Parker said...

Whoa! I hadn't checked your blog in a while and I'm so glad that I wandered over to it today of all days!

Looks like you're having a great time.... keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Virginia

p.s. So glad that you are fulfilling your roadtrip dream.

Anonymous said...

Yeah,I remember there being a lot of road-kill every time I was in the states too. I think the reason is not that the US has more animals, but that htey have more motorists causing an increase of chance of hittig the animals. And yeah, speed would play a factor. Wait'll you get to northern Ontario - you're slowed down to 90km at best...often you'll go through endless "towns" (like 5 houses across 5 kms) where the speed limit is down to 50 - 70km.

And its' funny that you expected an inter-state-hyway-type-road in the rockies :P You're sooooo Southern-Ontarian! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathy, just found your blog, wondered if I could talk to you about EV's.... I am Elizabeth and my email is gutterballdrama@hotmail.com- tried to find your email on here but luck, maybe I'm blind. Anyway if you have some time, just send me an email. I read alot of your posts but I don't seem to understand how you got so much vacation time with an EV- lucky you!