Sunday, June 29, 2008

Calgary-- Edmonton-- Three Hills

From Banff I headed into Calgary to look around, do some laundry and meet up with Laurel. It was nice seeing an old Korea buddy again! She'd already had plans with a few friends so I tagged along for dinner and drinks. It was nice talking to people again for a while!

An annoying thing; as I was stuck in traffic in Calgary trying to find a laundromat, my GD "Check Engine" light comes on. Shit! I drive through the freaking rockies and it chooses to light up as I sit in a traffic jam as I am crawling along. How does that make sense? I'm due to get my oil changed in another thousand kilometres so I'll have them check it out then. Oh Pabo.

Today was a total bust. People kept telling me that if I was going to be in Alberta I should definitely check out West Edmonton Mall. So I drove about three hours out of Calgary up to Edmonton. After about fifteen minutes of looking at the miniature golf courses, the water park, the pirate ship, the ice rink and a myriad of shopping establishments, I remembered that I hate malls and I don't have much money. So I loitered for another hour, then got back in my car and headed back. On the drive south-east, I decided, "HEY! I don't need this GPS system. I am a capable, independant, free spirit!" And so I got lost for a few hours and finally stumbled upon a small town called Three Hills, where I found the wonderful little Rest Easy Motel. The nicest place I've stayed thus far. And not the most expensive! After staying in so many motels, hotels, hostels, grass and bamboo huts, tents, friends floors, etc. etc. I think I can consider myself a bit of a hotel savant. I'm getting good at just looking at it as I drive by, thinking about its location (nearby cities, central location etc.), seeing it's checking in office and being able to guess how much its going to cost me, what the room will smell like (this is VERY important! The worse the smell the less it's going to cost, but is it really worth it?) and its facilities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHHAAHHAAHA
Have you been in anythingn quite as trashy as "Motel California" in Gwangju? hahahaha

And I could've told you that WEdmonton mall is kinda...jsut a really big mall - but it's something you need to see yourself :) Plus, I know how much you love Victoria Secret and LaSenza and relaly needed to go to all of them in that mall ;)