Monday, June 11, 2007

I've Just Gotten Used to Everything

I kind of feel like my blogs are lacking in the stories I usually have. It's not because nothing ever happens to me now, it's just that nothing seems strange here anymore! I've gotten used to the mountains, the ajummas, the stares; and I have mastered a sort of "Survival Korean" that includes gesturing, pointing, one word responses and smiling, which has begun to serve me quite well. One day I had just gotten onto my elevator and an old woman got on with me. In Korean, she asked me what floor I lived on and I responded in Korean. Then she asked my how much I had spent to acquire the watermelon in my hand, and again I was able to tell her in Korean (chil chun or $7, which is pretty cheap in Korea). As I'm walking along the Naju river kids walk past me, talking about me and I can always understand what they're saying. It's either "Hey, it's Candy the English teacher at Naju English Town!" or "Look!! An American/foreign person!!".

Enough of that. Virginia, a new Mokpoer had a "Housewarming-Rooftop-BBQ-get-together" on Saturday night. The theme: dress up as a song title. So Alex and I joined forces and came up with "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot(s)" by the flaming lips.

Lyrics:

Her name is Yoshimi
she's a black belt in karate
working for the city
she has to discipline her body'
Cause she knows that
it's demanding
to defeat those evil machines
I know she can beat them
Oh Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots eat me
Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots defeat me
Those evil-natured robots
they're programmed to destroy us
she's gotta be strong to fight them
so she's taking lots of vitamins... (and so on)


If you look closely you can see that I'm holding a case that says "VITAMIN", I'm wearing a black belt, and I have chopsticks (from Japan!!) in my hair, AND I"m wearing a pair of Yen boxers (which you can't see). I have WAAAAYYY too much time on my hands, but my costume pales in comparison to Alex's. He had to paint a bunch of boxes pink, and whined about it a lot.

I just had my extra class. The evil ringleader and his cronies showed up half way through the class so I locked them out of the room. It was awesome. I'm well aware that they didn't learn their lesson but for once I didn't have to spend half the class trying to make them shut their pie-holes, so it was a positively blissful class.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha Cassie's fighting back against the evil children...

mightycathy said...

Neeeee!! Those little brats!

Ms Parker said...

Loved the costume. You guys rocked!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I whined about it because you got away with spending 1/10th the amount of time making yours that I did...and then mine fell apart because I suck. ._.;

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.