Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Hajiiiiiimmmmaaaa!! (Stop That!)

I hate waiting for my elevator, so every morning I descend the twelve flights of stairs to get out of my building. As I was stepping down to the fifth floor there was an unmistakeable scent of urine. Awesome. Very rarely do people use stairs here, so they also seem to be a receptacle for cigarette butts, empty soju bottles and somewhere to dump pots of water (That's what I choose to believe. Why else would there be a puddle of water in the 10th floor stairwell?) .

I've also decided that my next door neighbours are the Korean version of "rednecks".
- Three or four children, all toddlers. Maybe they practice "natural family planning"?
- The mom is always yelling at her kids in the hallway, in a very public way.
- Instead of wheel-less trucks on cement blocks, all of the kids bikes and tricycles are lying around in the hall/balcony that I walk past to get to my apartment.
- There's a big tupperware container full of fermenting kimchi that's been sitting in the hallway for months. So that's kimchi that must get really HOT during the day. Sometimes I try not to breathe as I walk past.
- They are very nice though! The parents always say hi when the see me, and their kids are really cute (even though they like to play with my electronic door lock. They'll press buttons and wait for me to come out and point my finger at them saying "hajimmmmaaaa!!!". Then they laugh.)

In other news, no classes for the next couple of days since exams are coming again. So I've been preparing power points for the upcoming summer camp. Power point is my friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cathy, you're supposed to yell at your kids in the hallway. How else will the neighbours know what's going on? Press their faces to the window?

mightycathy said...

I do that sometimes anyway! Tee hee!