Wednesday, July 11, 2007

General Pandemonium

No word of a lie, at least five students cried today (no jerks, it wasn't after I made a face at them). We've been working our way through the younger students, and they are really cute, but can get VERY upset over the whole "stamp reward" procedure! Today's class was very... high energy. I pulled apart several fights, yelled at kids who were screaming and chasing each other around the English Town, a boy got a question wrong on the quiz and went and cried in a corner; general pandemonium. As of today there are only five more classes of English Town students, two weeks of summer camp, then I'll never be in the English Town again. Holy crap!

Last night me, my co-teachers, the principal, a vp and a few other teachers went out for dinner at Venezia. Even though I can't have a conversation with my principal I found myself getting all teary-eyed when he was telling me that he appreciated my work etc. (translated through Mrs. Lee). I'm really going to miss my school!! Even the evil ringleader and his cronies!!

Sidenote: Our extra class with Elementary school students has gotten waaay bigger, so we split the group into two, which was much more bearable! And I also discovered for the first time that the evil ringleader (Gwang-sun) is much smarter than he ever appeared! Smaller classes are genius. In the past he would spend the entire time asking to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water, completely unwilling to speak English EVER. Then on Monday after we'd cut the classes in half I was attempting a ghetto form of Bingo. I got all of the students to name some countries as I wrote them on the board. Then I had them draw a four by four grid and write in any of the countries I'd mentioned. Then I called out random countries and the first student to get a line was victorious. And Gwang-sun actually did the exercise and WON!!! Then at the end of class he actually said goodbye to me (albeit in Korean). Geeez! If I had another five years to teach I might actually win this kid over.

No comments: