Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wando-ful!

Went to Wando over the weekend. It was a lot of fun, except for the monster burn I came back to Naju with. As sad as this is, it was the first time I actually swam in the ocean. The water was so freaking salty! After dark we all went for a swim and there was a crazy amount of phosphorescence (sorry about the spelling!); which are a kind of plankton that glow in the water. Everytime I waved my arms in the water it was like sparkles under the surface (very cool!). There were about 20 of us waygooks (the Korean word for foreigners) that showed up, some slept on the beach, a couple wimps went to hotels, and myself and several others slept in a bagoda (basically a big gazebo). We had a big mosquito net, but I was still bitten quite often. Everytime I'm bitten here, it swells up and itches like nothing I have ever felt before. Korean mosquitos are EVIL! We had a huge bonfire on the beach which ended up feeling really surreal. I was constantly waiting for some kind of park patrol to stop by and put out the fire, or tell us to get off public property: but no one came. I was astounded! At one point a cop car drove by, but they didn't even stop. We were a pretty peaceful crowd though; no one had too much soju!

Wando, and the other island we went to (shingae??) was absolutely beautiful! Mountains as far as the eye can see!!

Later!

No comments: